Earthquakes, storms, power outages, failure of pumps or water lines can cause unannounced interruption of water service.
Liberty Utilities utilizes an Emergency Response and Recovery Plan that provides an organized response to an event and a plan to maintain quality service to our customers. This plan is exercised regularly. In addition, we will utilize its Crisis Communication Plan to inform affected individuals of the impacts from those events and will coordinate with outside agencies to ensure that it has adequate resources for an emergency situation.
- What can I do to prepare?
- Maintain emergency drinking water supplies.
A. Install/maintain a water service shut off valve.
A. Maintain emergency contact phone numbers.
A. Contact local emergency services for further recommendation.
- What about water during a major event?
- Reduce water usage to a minimum during any emergency event. All outside water usage should be stopped.
A. Fill available containers and both tubs with water.
A. If water service is interrupted, contact us or listen to local emergency information radio stations for information. Phone lines may be overloaded or down.
A. If you must leave your property, and have a shut off valve, you may want to turn it off to reduce the likelihood of damage from broken water lines.
- What if I run out of water during an event?
- The Red Cross suggests a temporary emergency source can come from your water heater.
A. If water is expected to be out for an extended length of time throughout the area, local emergency services along with Liberty Utilities may set up water distribution locations.
For additional information on disaster preparedness check these websites: